Sunday, September 8, 2013




                                             Avicenna



I am called Avicenna by modern people but my name translates better as Abū 'Alī al-Ḥusayn ibn 'Abd Allāh ibn Sīnā or ibn Sīnā for short.  The only information on my early life comes from my autobiography so you will excuse some minor hyperbole.  The child I was had memorized the Qur’an, and learned arithmetic from an Indian by age ten.  I studied the work of Aristotle and al-Farabi in philosophy and by age eighteen I was a fully qualified physician.  My first appointment was with Emir of Samani a Persian dynasty that ended a few years later.  After the fall of the Samani dynasty I moved around a lot not staying in one place for too long writing my one hundred treaties on varies topics including Alchemy, Astronomy, Geology, Philosophy, Psychology, Islamic Theology, Mathematics Physics, Poetry, Logic and most importantly medicine.  My most Important work of which I am told was use into the 18th century is the The Canon of Medicine an 14 volumes of Medical theory and my life's work.  The last decade of my life was in the service of Abu Ja'far 'Ala Addaula the general with his many campaigns.  on my death bed I felt some sting of remorse for my successes and gave the poor everything I had released my slaves and reflected deeply upon the Qur’an, I died at age 58 just before the holy month of Ramadan.

No comments:

Post a Comment